[Wine] Running an app across a network

petecorbs wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Dec 4 04:51:20 CST 2009

I have a small office network and am currently looking to switch all our machines over to Linux Ubuntu. All areas of file sharing, printing and general use seem to be running fine, however i have come up against a brick wall with a windows application that all machines in our office need to run.

The program can be installed on all machines using wine and will run quite happily on each machine however we need to tell the application to use a single database file that is held on a central Linux machine. The application uses a config file to point to a location on a server where the Db file is held, in our old windows enviroment we simply wrote the path in the config file.

Here is an example of the config file from our windows enviroment that works fine: ÿ
[Datafile]

//FBS2-PC/users/Public/resort/fbs.df1

My question is can wine applications run across a network and if so what path or command would need to be used to direct the application into the correct location, we have tried IP addresses, SMB:, Samba workgroups but nothing seems to allow us to execute the Db file.

Any help would be great
Thanks