[Wine] Can I point Driver C to a partition with windows

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Thu Dec 3 19:19:32 CST 2009

phamnhatkhang at gmail.com wrote:
> I got a windows installed on partition 1. Now I install ubuntu 9.10 on other partition.
> Can I point Driver C of wine to windows partition and use windows program was installed by windows? such as Photoshop CS4, Corel Draw X4 etc.
> If it's work, I think that's a good way to use Wine then try to find the way install from linux... is it?
Do yourself a favor: don't do this. At best, some of those apps might
work, but many of them need access to the Windows registry. Wine has its
own registry, and can't read the native Windows registry (and never
will, so don't ask). So many apps won't work. At worst, you could bork
your Windows install, which is not so nice.

So, I reiterate: don't do this. Instead, you should try to install those
apps directly in Wine, the same way you would in Windows itself (i.e. by
running their respective installers).

Chip