[Wine] Unable To Install Any Applications With Wine

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Thu Dec 3 20:10:40 CST 2009

thrasher wrote:
> Hey guys,
>             I just updated my system to Fedora 12 x86_64, and I can't Wine to install any applications. When I go to load the program with Wine, it says opening application, adn after a few seconds the window disappears. I'm not getting any sort of error messages. Has anyone heard of this problem before. I sure could use some help on this one.
Does it produce any output in the terminal? (To get any at all, you
should run it from the terminal. See the FAQ at
http;//wiki.winehq.org/FAQ for details.) If so, can you tell us what it is?

What version of Wine are you using? (Again, see the FAQ for details.)

What does the yum utility tell you about which Wine packages are
installed? (I forget the exact command to give to yum... I don't use
Fedora.) Fedora for some reason recently added 64-bit versions of the
Wine packages; I'll bet that's part of the problem.

If you have 64-bit Wine installed, you need to uninstall it, and install
32-bit Wine. (The 64-bit Wine packages will have .x86_64 or some such
tacked on to their names, and the 32-bit ones end with .i586 or some such.)

If that doesn't help, post back here with output from the terminal.

Chip