[Wine] Re: Installing WINE on Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard

DaveLevy wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Dec 5 09:40:26 CST 2009

Sorry it's taken so long to get back. I have tested the impact of setting the environment variable DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH as opposed to using symlinks to access X11 libraries and would appreciate advice on a newcomer updating the wiki's MAC page.

The long environment variable, DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH, which I have found documented http://osxfaq.com/man/1/dyld.ws, does permit WINE to find the xfree font libraries, so we now have two ways of solving my problem, which related to the Xfree fonts.

I deleted my symlinks and then set the environment variable. I am using Context as my test program and this worked fine.

I have decided to use the symlink solution since I believe it to be more persistent and I am unsure that the wiki document is a good solution. I suggest that

Code:

export DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/X11/lib:/usr/lib:${DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH}"

is better, possibly with a test to see if /usr/lib is already in the path.

The wiki makes no mention of the xfree libraries;it proposes using the hack to get at the OpenGL libraries. I was fooled because I am not a UNIX developer and believe this relates to Apple's proprietary link loader. (It might be part of BSD, but I didn't understand its relevance to my problem.)

I am prepared to make changes to the wiki page as suggested by dimesio above, but would again like some advice on ettiquette. This would be my first contribution to the WINE project in any way and am more used to led wikis such as media wiki or confluence where 'out of the blue' contributions are placed on a talk page or submitted as signed comments before being voted (in some way) to the front page.

I made the symlinks as follows,

Code:

sudo bash
cd /usr/lib
ln -s /usr/X11/lib/libfree*
exit

NB This trick was documented by someone else on this forum.