[Wine] Installing Wine on MacOSX was {Re: Memory Limitations for WI

doh123 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Dec 8 08:58:48 CST 2009

what kind of installer are you talking about?

make install, installs to the prefix you specify.. if you didn't specify one, yes its /usr/local on Macs as well... which is why i said to use a custom prefix.  any symlinks it might install elsewhere isn't that big of a deal... but mine never has... if i did a default install of Wine without /usr/local/bin in my path, when I type wine, it has no idea what that means.... so if its supposed to automatically put in symlinks, it never has for me.

a PKG installer is just a simple way to make an installer... nothing is automatic in making it.  It only installs exactly what you specify to install into the exact places you specify to install it to.... nothing just goes to random areas.  Wine doesn't use any other path except the wineprefix, which you can specify to inside of a app (since a .app is really just a folder) ... and install even the app with a pkg... and tell it to prompt for admin password.  But its not hard to make a .app by hand and just make it a bash script that launches when you double click the .app, that does whatever you want it to, and .apps list out as "special" permissions. Much easier than using command line every time... just make a folder with a .app name.. put a Contents folder in it.. put in a Info.plist (not hard to figure out, look at other apps for examples), a MacOS folder, and a Resources folder... then make it run the bash script you put in MacOS by default in the Info.plist .... make that script get a path, set a wineprefix inside the .app ... have wine inside the app to use... super simple just defaulting to X11.app...

Yes most things that come from Apple in /Applications is locked down to system, with special execute permissions.... but that doesn't apply to things you put there yourself, since every admin user can install anything they want there.... for most users to use by default.... I have more apps in /Applications that I put there that didn't come from Apple, so mine is not mostly System.