[Wine] printting hack with wine in linux ????

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Wed Dec 9 14:07:31 CST 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 12:51 -0600, fachamix wrote:
> I have serious problems with printters in linux ... really serious.
> I have been searching teh drivers for the epson`s FX series, and nothing.

This information may be useful, so here goes. It applies only to Epsons
that use the Esc/P control codes. I've tried this with MX, FX, LQ and
Stylus colour printers: specifically I've owned an MX/80 (9 pin dot
matrix) and still have an LQ550 (24 pin dot matrix) and a Stylus 850C
(colour inkjet) printer.

The Esc/P control codes were introduced with the MX/80 and the codes for
each successive printer have been supersets of the MX/80 control codes.
In short, every Epson Esc/P printer I've tried has worked perfectly
using MX/80 drivers.

In general each printer series seem to use similar codes within reason -
you wouldn't expect a b/w inkjet to do sensible things with the colour
selection codes that a colour Stylus accepts, but if CUPS doesn't have a
driver for your exact printer, using the driver for a close relative in
the Epson range seems to work (IIRC the Stylus 850C wasn't supported,
but pretending it was a 650C worked just fine).

The same goes for any HP printers that accept PCL control sequences. I
have an LJ5 that works perfectly with a driver originally set up for an
LJ2 over 20 years ago.

Martin