[Wine] Re: Photoshop CS2 Refuses to Install

GoremanX wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Dec 9 23:41:16 CST 2009

vitamin wrote:
> You forgetting that most installers still install loads of crap on the system drive. And if they explicitly check for C: being a local disk then it's a problem with installer. And it will fail in the same way on Windows (if you can manage to put c: drive on the network).

Nope, I'm not forgetting that at all. Remember, I tried adding a drive that was hosted on a local directory. I added a drive K:\ hosted at /opt/drive_k (which is local). C:\ was still on a network share at this point. Photoshop CS2 happily installed to the K:\ drive without issues. I just didn't like this solution because it spread my wine environment all over the place.

vitamin wrote:

> GoremanX wrote:
> > Also, I should be able to edit the Advanced settings for the C:\ drive, but I cannot. They're grayed out.
>
> They are disabled for a reason. If you don't know how to edit them then you shouldn't be touching them in the first place.

Oh wow, that's a terrible statement. That's like "If you don't know how, then don't do it". Or "If you have to ask, you can't afford it". Highly unhelpful, especially in open source.

vitamin wrote:

> GoremanX wrote:
> > It shouldn't matter if ~/.wine is on a local disk or scratched on the moon, when I set a drive to "Local disk" in winecfg, it should show up as a local disk to Windows applications.
>
> No, NFS/CIFS doesn't support some things that are available on local mounts. And most of those things can't be emulated by Wine. Laing to an application will get you only so far.

By that bizarre reasoning... isn't Wine just one big lie? We're essentially telling applications that Windows is there, even though it's not. EVERYTHING Wine does is a giant lie!

The point is, there is a clear option in winecfg to set a drive as either "Network share", "Local disk", "Floppy disk" or "CD-ROM". This option is not there to let Wine know how to use the drive, it's there to tell Wine how to present the drive to Windows applications.

Meanwhile, by jumping through hoops due to a bug, I finally AM able to run Photoshop CS2 within my network share and everything functions fine. So the whole point about "lying to an application will only get you so far" is pretty moot. Lying to an application is working perfectly.