[Wine] Arguments for Wine on windows/incremental adoption

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 16:19:24 CST 2009

2009/12/10 Deweirdifier <wineforum-user at winehq.org>:

> In short:
> wine to be ported on windows, and programs to be allowed to compile partly on native windows DLLs and partly on wine DLLs. In theory, this should permit much faster market penetration.
> More elaborate explanation:
> Theres some megre effort for porting wine on windows, but this is mostly for testing purposes. I'm proposing to port wine seriously on windows, and this at the highest priority. In a way so that program developers can compile against a fraction of wine DLLs, The proposal is inspired from evolution (biology), teeth evolved incrementally from scales, so wine too should attempt a incremental approach. Braking up development in tiny working increments its extremely powerful strategy, this is how we got here.

I doubt you'll get the current developers very interested in this -
those of us fiddling with Wine on Windows are doing so basically just
for fun (and people's simultaneous admiration and disgust), and even
then in a fairly desultory fashion. (I certainly am.)

However, if you produce better results, that'll definitely get attention.

- d.