[Wine] Re: Wine not working at all... Urgent

Etherus wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Dec 13 07:51:19 CST 2009

smartflower2002 wrote:
> hey guys,
> i am  a newbie at linux,
> i have installed fedora 12, updated most of the stuff of it.. (expect policies)
> and i install wine using yum..
> it installed wine, installed its dependeces..
>
> but now when  i open any exe setup using wine. nothing happens,. nothing at all....
> call i can see is the glass of wine jumping besides the mouse curson..
>
> and when i try to install a software using "install" option in "wine software uninstaller"
> i get a error message..
>
> but the strange thing is. the error messege is filled with "BOX'es"
>
> 4 small boxes nothing else.... no text nothing...
>
> so i unlocked the root, logged in using root. and tried to install software from it.. same problem.. can anyone please plaese help me... coz i really neeed to get it working..
>
> PS:- all suggestions are accepted, coz im learning linux, and i am ready to screw it for learning......
>
> (install wine from yum using SU)

As the previous poster already said the 64bit that Fedora x64 somehow installs is very Alpha.

You can open your terminal and do the following:

Code:
sudo yum erase *wine*

This will remove all your current wine packages.

then do this in your terminal to remove your wine directory since you probably did run it as root:

Code:
sude rm -R /home/"YOUR USERNAME"/.wine

This should remove your whole wine folder don't worry the 32bit version will remake this directory for you.

Then type the following in your terminal to install wine 32bit:

Code:
sudo yum install wine.i686 wine-alsa.i686

once this all is installed type the following command in your terminal make sure you are not root!:

Code:
winecfg

This should recreate your wine directory and you can configure what you would like.