[Wine] Final Fantasy XI on FreeBSD/amd64 Unhandled page fault

Tijl Coosemans tijl at coosemans.org
Tue Dec 15 06:31:23 CST 2009

On Tuesday 15 December 2009 04:15:28 llwang wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is a problem in wine, a problem of
> FreeBSD/amd64, or a problem in my video driver.
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 8.0 amd64.  NVIDIA recently released version
> 195.22 (BETA) for FreeBSD
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=142120, which is
> their first driver for FreeBSD/amd64.  I installed the driver and
> followed the FreeBSD wiki
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/Wine#head-6963d527c173e57b1567e881305b544d33435b6d
> and installed wine 1.1.34 in an i386 chroot environment.  There are
> reports of people running FreeBSD 8.0 amd64 using the new NVIDIA
> driver successfully playing World of Warcraft in wine installed this
> way.  I tried to run Final Fantasy XI the same way, but without
> success.
>
> The installation and version update were successful.  I was able to
> run pol and login.  After I click on the play button, a "Program
> Error" dialog box would pop up, saying that the program pol.exe has
> encountered a serious problem and needs to close.  The last few lines
> of the output before it died were:
>
> fixme:d3d_surface:surface_init Trying to create a render target that isn't in the default pool.
> err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 58
> err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 64
> err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 58
> err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 64
> fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x34e7c4,0x00000000), stub!
> fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_CreateIconFromANI Loading all frames for .ani cursors not implemented.
> fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_CreateIconFromANI Loading all frames for .ani cursors not implemented.
> fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_CreateIconFromANI Loading all frames for .ani cursors not implemented.
> fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_CreateIconFromANI Loading all frames for .ani cursors not implemented.
> fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_CreateIconFromANI Loading all frames for .ani cursors not implemented.
> fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_CreateIconFromANI Loading all frames for .ani cursors not implemented.
> fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_CreateIconFromANI Loading all frames for .ani cursors not implemented.
> fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_CreateIconFromANI Loading all frames for .ani cursors not implemented.
> fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_CreateIconFromANI Loading all frames for .ani cursors not implemented.
> fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_CreateIconFromANI Loading all frames for .ani cursors not implemented.
> fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_CreateIconFromANI Loading all frames for .ani cursors not implemented.
> fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_CreateIconFromANI Loading all frames for .ani cursors not implemented.
> fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_CreateIconFromANI Loading all frames for .ani cursors not implemented.
> fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_CreateIconFromANI Loading all frames for .ani cursors not implemented.
> [...]

Did you follow the howto in the appdb entry?
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=2739

It mentions for instance to set Windows version to Vista and to run
a configuration tool after installation to change graphics settings.

There's also a comment there that says Wine 1.1.34 doesn't work when
1.1.33 does, so maybe downgrading helps.