[Wine] Re: Wine acting funny with FAT32 home directory.

DaVince wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Dec 15 07:09:52 CST 2009

> The problem I have is that I can run Wine fine as root/admin but cannot as a normal user because it doesn't find the directories it needs. Perhaps a possible permissions issue?

No, it's a filesystem issue - FAT partitions don't support symlinks, and Wine makes a LOT of these to refer to each and every important file or drive in the "general" Wine DLL location.

Running Wine as root works because it actually probably stores the .wine directory in /root/.wine, which is likely on a partition that DOES support symlinks.

The solution would be to use ext3, ext4 or any other symlink supporting filesystem on /home.