[Wine] wine and vmware

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 14:18:01 CST 2009

2009/12/15 sajadsa <wineforum-user at winehq.org>:

> the things that i know so far is that wine speed is better and wine is more compatible with other os , but some windows program will not be installed on wine ,when they can be installe don vmware as it has a windows os.

Close - VMware is a virtual PC. It really is just like having a whole
computer running as a program inside another computer.

You can run any OS on VMware. If you install Windows on it, then you
can run Windows programs on it, just as if it was on a separate
computer.

> so can you say me that how they are works on linux? the wine programs are working while other linux apps also are working.how it is posibble while they have two seprate core?

The Wikipedia link I gave for "compatibility layer" will help explain
it. Wine pretends to work like Windows, so that a Windows program will
look for the Windows functions it expects and will find Wine supplying
them. The same as how Linux programs look for Linux functions to use.

> and what about vmware ??

Emulating a whole computer inside another computer is large (uses a
lot of RAM) and slow (uses a lot of CPU pretending to be another CPU).
But it does give almost perfect compatibility - it's a whole virtual
PC running as an application.

- d.