[Wine] Strange WoW behavior - unresponsive -> disconnect

doumakes wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Dec 15 20:11:45 CST 2009

I'm encountering a strange new behavior from WoW.  I'm able to start the game, login, and enter the game world.  Then, either immediately or after hours of play, the environment suddenly becomes unresponsive.  My toon is able to move around, but NPCs do nothing when clicked, chat traffic vanishes, the Logout and Exit Game buttons do nothing, etc.  If I wait long enough, I get a "Disconnected from server" error.  Happens on all toons and on all realms where I have characters.  There isn't a network issue, and rebooting my Ubuntu system has no effect.

First time I saw this was the day of the 3.3 patch, which also happens to be when I upgraded wine.  I couldn't get back in all day, then came back the following day and was able to get in.  Second time was yesterday; I came back after the maintenance outage today and the problem was gone.  Third time is now.

Anyone else seeing similar behavior?

Code:
$ uname -a
Linux don-desktop 2.6.31-16-generic #53-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 8 04:02:15 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
$ wine --version
wine-1.1.34