[Wine] Borland Database Engine (BDE)

smot wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Dec 21 07:04:19 CST 2009

I've installed Wine 1.1.35 on a fresh Ubunti 9.10 and attempted to install the BDE.

The BDE Administrator runs normally (BDEADMIN.EXE) but I'm unable to make any connections to our Firebird server - attempts to open the connection give me error "Vendor initialization failed" and "Cannot load an IDAPI service library. File GDS32.DLL".

I've put this file into the Windows\System32 folder, Windows\system and also the BDE home directory, \Program Files\Common Files\Borland Shared\BDE.

Is there any way I can see what files Wine is being asked to open? Does case sensitivity matter for filenames when programs are running with Wine?

Curiously, I've had no problems with my home PC (also running Ubuntu 9.10) but two others cannot locate this GDS32.DLL.

Does anyone have any clues for me?

Thanks,
Trevor