[Wine] Legal Issues

Oli Warner oli at thepcspy.com
Mon Dec 21 11:01:15 CST 2009

> I heard that Wine uses Windows apps like [...]

Where did you hear this? That is a sincere question as somebody needs
correcting.

Rather than people individually answering how each element of Wine is coded,
how about this: the core wine system, including its regedit, notepad, etc
applications are all written *for* wine by people with no access to
comparative Microsoft code. I believe that last bit is Wine contribution
policy: If you've seen copyright MS code, you're not allowed in to avoid
copyright issues. I could be wrong - check the docs if you care.

Apps you install on Wine (including IE) keeps its original copyrights and
licenses. When you install IE, you're installing a Microsoft product it as
you would on a Windows machine. License-wise, nothing changes so if the EULA
says you can only run it on a genuine copy of Windows, you cannot install it
under Wine and remain under the EULA.

There *are* MS products with this clause in their EULA but it's your choice
if you want to follow them... Or if they're even enforceable or not...
Well... let's not get into that.