[Wine] Re: Decadry Express Business Cards

DaVince wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Dec 27 15:47:54 CST 2009

Alan Thompson wrote:
> alan at alan-laptop:~$ cd
> alan at alan-laptop:~$ ".wine/drive_c/Programs\Files
> > ls
> > decadry
> > cd decadry
> > ls *.exe
> >

> this is as far  as I get . What am I doing wrong?
> many thanks
> Alan Thompson

The > means it's waiting for you to finish your script or whatever; in other words, you did something wrong.

Do this:
cd "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/decadry/"
ls *.exe
wine one_of_those_files.exe

Now, to show what you did wrong:
alan at alan-laptop:~$ cd
cd? Just cd? That brings you back to the home directory, meaning /home/alan/, also known as ~/, also known as $HOME.

alan at alan-laptop:~$ ".wine/drive_c/Programs\Files
1. You're not telling the computer what to do. Do what with ".wine/drive_c/Programs\Files?
2. You missed a double quote at the end. Thanks to this, everything you try to type after having pressed enter will just make the command prompt wait until you end your command with a closing double quote ".
3. .wine/drive_c/Programs\Files doesn't exist. Here's a tip: you can press tab anything to get suggestions and autocomplete options when you're trying to find a directory. Example:

Code:

This will get you into the right directory REALLY fast, without risk of mistyping a directory. You will also no longer need the double quotes as things like spaces get entered properly for the commandline to recognize.

> ls
> decadry
> cd decadry
> ls *.exe

This all does nothing because the program is waiting for you to put a closing " after the ".wine/drive_c/Programs\Files you had before these.