[Wine] Re: Legal Issues

army_ant7 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Dec 27 18:14:06 CST 2009

@ryan woodsmall: I didn't mean to ask that kind of question. It's just because of this: http://wiki.winehq.org/Direct3D_Debugging?highlight=%28direct3d%29. It uses the name Direct3D and contains talk about debugging which caused me to ask that question, but I am certainly not trolling, mind you. I look at Wine with respect especially for its noble efforts, but I do apologize for making you think I was trolling, it must have been the way I asked the question. Also, no offense, but I don't think the link you sent about clean rooming is the one we are talking about. I may be wrong on this one still though. Thanks on the info though!

@oiaohm: I think I got what you were saying, but your grammar, well, no offense too, was a little off, so I had a little, hard time comprehending. I'll try researching on magic code though. Your statements do sound agreeable and logical though. May I ask another question though? Here, http://wiki.winehq.org/WineD3DOnWindows?highlight=%28wined3d%29, it says some thing about using Direct3D DLL's. DLL's are libraries right? I'm just wondering if it is referring to WineD3D libraries. WineD3D is not derived in any way from Direct3D, but just black boxed right? Is it? One more thing, OpenGL is implemented in Wine right? Is OpenGL also made from scratch and black boxed? :-) I hope you can answer my questions. Thanks! You increased my, and maybe other's, understanding of Wine.

@James Mckenzie: Hi. I was about to ask this, "How can you know if someone studied the internals of another program before making his own program from scratch and claiming to just have black boxed it; or what if by chance a person truly black boxes a program but is accused of clean rooming because the codes of his program and another are so similar that others may say he just rearranged the code?" from oiaohm, but you seem to have answered it for him. Thanks for that! You said though,
> Black boxed code is allowed if you can prove that the results are what are obtained by running test scenarios through a 'black box' or some Windows code.
 and
> Wine does not and cannot contain code that is in Windows.

 I found the last part, "...or some Windows code." of the former, and the latter to be contradictory. I may have just understood it wrong though. Please clarify though if you may. :-) Your grammar was great! I clearly understood you. I have same compliments for you like those I gave oiaohm. I'd appreciate it too if you try answering the questions I asked him. I values both of your opinions.

Thank you all! :-D