[Wine] No sound using OSS in Steam games

mogorva wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Dec 31 02:20:21 CST 2009

Whenever I change the sound driver from ALSA to OSS in winecfg all of my steam games are muted. Some of the games doesn't even start, some of them start but are totally silent with OSS.
I installed a couple of non-steam games into the same wineprefix, interestingly they can use both sound systems. So this issue is applied only to steam games.

If I apply the WINEDEBUG=+dsound parameter when i'm using OSS the following warnings pop up in the console:

warn:dsound:DirectSoundDevice_Initialize no driver

Does anyone have similar experience with steam games?
I'm running wine-1.1.35 (compiled from source) on Fedora 12. Pulseaudio is disabled systemwide.