[Wine] Re: Cannot run Win16 installer for Judaic Classics

onecoolcouple wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Feb 3 11:03:17 CST 2009

I ran strace without grep, and redirected stderr to a file, so that I can analyze it peacefully and change my mind as many times as I want without needing to run the command again (though that shouldn't be too troublesome, either).

command line:
strace wine .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/davkajcl/judclib2.exe &> .wine/judaic_classics.stderr

Regarding your suggestion to capture the error messages when running wine directly, the problem is that there are no error messages anymore, at the command line level. As far as wine is concerned, the program runs fine, it starts, and it interacts with the user. However, its only interaction is a dialog box complaining about the lack of a valid CDROM in the drive.

The reason I didn't grep for anything in particular is that I have no idea what I am looking for. I am looking for what is missing, essentially, though if it is a registry key that is missing, then it won't show up as missing with strace, for the registry does exist, it may simply lack the information my program is looking for.

The way I imagine my research going, is by eliminating everything that is obviously not important, and then looking at what is left.

Oh, and, by the way, I know regex and am fine with writing my own grep commands. It's the what I should be excluding or looking for that I don't know.