[Wine] Poor performance in Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II

cmtptr wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Feb 3 16:08:03 CST 2009

Hi,

So I'm going to be upfront about this:  I don't know how to fix this problem or even who to talk to.  I've tried the JK community, #winehq, #ati, and even the ATI forums, but no there was help to be offered.

Here's the problem...
Playing Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=122) on Wine, I get such horrid framerates that the game is unplayable.  In the demo version and 1.0, the game runs choppy all of the time.  With the 1.01 update, it runs perfectly fine as long as nothing 2D is being drawing on the HUD.  But as soon as I enable the overlay map or the health and ammo displays, it drops to about 8 FPS.  The game always worked fine on this computer with Windows XP, and I have other, newer games which run just fine on Wine.

I've talked with people in the JK community and with someone in #winehq who have played JK on Wine, and they didn't experience any problems whatsoever.  They were also using NVidia cards.  Unfortunately since I'm on a laptop, replacing the video card is not an option for me, and neither is buying a new computer.

I'm on Arch Linux, kernel26 2.6.28.2
Wine 1.1.14
Catalyst driver 9.1
Intel Pentium M 2.0GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon X700 256MB
1024MB DDRII RAM

Please help?  I miss my all-time favorite game!
Thanks!