[Wine] "viewed as not acceptable by the community"

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 17:05:40 CST 2009

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 11:56 AM, antoniong <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Fine if that is you're opinion but you have given perfect arguments against the philosophy of Open souces.

How so?

> Last but not least: I came here with a perfectly normal and simple question (how to detect whether Wine is running) and all I met were people telling me to find the error (without even thinking that such might be near to impossible) and not even a single bit of help!

I gave you a few different ways to do it, which you apparently
ignored. As I said, it's a really bad idea to do, but if you want to,
the best way would be to detect the broken behavior (since many
windows machines may do the same thing). Another good way is to do as
Utorrent does, and make the hack optional in the settings, so that if
Wine is fixed, the hack can be disabled.

On a side note, you go between implying that you wrote this code and
want to fix it for Wine and acting as if normal users can detect that
Wine is running. How will a user allowing a program to detect Wine
help, unless the program already had some hacks? Like I said, it's
programmers that are concerned about this, not end users.

--
-Austin