[Wine] Re: "viewed as not acceptable by the community"

antoniong wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Feb 6 17:44:20 CST 2009

austin987 wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 11:56 AM, antoniong <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>
> > Fine if that is you're opinion but you have given perfect arguments against the philosophy of Open souces.
> >

> How so?
>

> > Last but not least: I came here with a perfectly normal and simple question (how to detect whether Wine is running) and all I met were people telling me to find the error (without even thinking that such might be near to impossible) and not even a single bit of help!
> >

> I gave you a few different ways to do it, which you apparently
> ignored. As I said, it's a really bad idea to do, but if you want to,
> the best way would be to detect the broken behavior (since many
> windows machines may do the same thing). Another good way is to do as
> Utorrent does, and make the hack optional in the settings, so that if
> Wine is fixed, the hack can be disabled.
>
> On a side note, you go between implying that you wrote this code and
> want to fix it for Wine and acting as if normal users can detect that
> Wine is running. How will a user allowing a program to detect Wine
> help, unless the program already had some hacks? Like I said, it's
> programmers that are concerned about this, not end users.
>
> --
> -Austin

I nowhere wrote or even suggested that I was the one writing the code! I am the one testing a Windows app that is supposed to run under Linux using Wine.

I have no access (and do not want to) to the winsource code neither do I want any access to the Wine sourcecode.

To me Wine is a utility that makes it possible to run Win apps under Linux! Nothing more, nothing less.

However, there seems to be a problem and with my over 40 years of programming experience I seek a solution by which the developer of the app can easily adapt his programm to the yes/no Wine.

Possible consequences in the futute are his not yours and are his to decide only.