[Wine] Re: Need assistance connecting Garmin GPS via USB in Mapsource

steveor wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Feb 8 16:28:10 CST 2009

The source of my information was a series of emails between myself and one of the users in AppDB who stated he successfully got MapSource to run.   In the course of our emails he wrote:

"At this point you have the MapSource and the maps. Do a "sudo modprobe garmin_gps" without the quotes. That kernel module is still packed with Ubuntu, but it does not start out of the box. Check the results - hook up your unit, start it up and see if there is a /dev/ttyUSB0 file. It should be owned by root and dialup group. Change the ownership to yourself (or Garmin would hang). Go to ~/.wine/devices and make a soft link called com1 to /dev/ttyUSB0. This whole paragraph can be done anytime before starting the interaction between the GPS unit and MapSource (even with MapSource running).

Run MapSource, and send some info to the unit than check if it was installed."

I emailed him for more assistance on this matter but received no response.  Perhaps he tired of my helplessness or my pestering.