[Wine] Helpful Hints for OS X Users (Idiots Guide?)

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 8 20:55:17 CST 2009

Michael Reich wrote:

Please bottom post and also send to the list.

> On 2/8/09 wine-users-request at winehq.org wrote:
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 12:02:38 -0600
>> From: "computerwiz_222" <wineforum-user at winehq.org>
>> Subject: [Wine]  Re: Helpful Hints for OS X Users (Idiots Guide?)
>> To: wine-users at winehq.org
>>
>> I would assume... Tiger doesn't come with X11 installed from factory,
>> but this doesn't really matter because you install XQuartz anyways...
>> If this guide doesn't work for you, then you may want to try
>> installing X11 off the Tiger DVD before following through with the
>> guide...
>>
>> Are you on an Intel Machine?
>>
> Yes, I'm on a Macbook w/10.4.11 and already have X11 installed.  I
> have Wine running, but it's a very old version (wine-0.9.53).  I have
> seen XQuartz mentioned but don't really understand what it is/does
> that's different from X11.

The XQuartz team is assisting Apple with the modifications needed to get
X11 to function properly with MacOSX.  Apple's version is very broken,
for example the OpenGL functions only go to OpenGL 1.2 and most gaming
software needs functions from OpenGL 1.3.

I would review what is available on the XQuartz web page and if it
applies to Tiger BEFORE installing it.  From what I remember, it can be
installed on 10.4.11, but this may not be true any longer.

James McKenzie