[Wine] Detecting a programm runs using Wine

Darragh Bailey felix at compsoc.nuigalway.ie
Mon Feb 9 04:58:06 CST 2009

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 05:59:58PM -0600, antoniong wrote:
<snipage>

> Now there are 3 solutions:
>
> 1.  (the best) solve the problem within Wine. is going to take quite
> some time and will mean at least 2 developers agreeing to work
> together and diving deep into the source code of Wine.

Any you happen to know that for an absolute fact? If you log the bugs,
then one of the wine developers might be able to tell you very quickly
just how difficult it will be to fix the problem. Right now, from this
thread, it's impossible to know, it could be as simple as a DLL
override.

> 2.   Use a CLI code in the app so that the app know it runs linux/Wine
> or native Windows.
>
> or
>
> 3.  Some coding by which the developer knows whether or not he is using
> Linux/Wine and use that decision to circumvent the problem part.

Wine does not support detecting of wine, therefore whatever method is
used, the wine developers may well change this in the future to suit.
Hence the detection method no longer works and the app now breaks.

When the correct functionality is implemented you app won't be able to
use it.

> That's all nothing more nothing less. (and now I'm going to bed)

Seems to me, that you've already decided that you know more that the
wine developers on how to solve your problem and won't listen to any
reasons put forward that there is a better solution.

Namely look to code to detect the broken behaviour, not the platform,
but the lack of functionality. That's something that the wine developers
can easily help you with, by providing feedback on how to test that the
api being used doesn't work as expected.

--
Darragh

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."