[Wine] Please

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 13:06:54 CST 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Sindar <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> I dont think U understood me...
> Im not complaining that Wine isnt in Ubuntu package manager... (ofc there are just 3 versions...) Im rather would like to be able to download Wine 1.1.2  .deb package for Ubuntu 8.10 from Wine download page's .deb package archive. Cause it's not there and I just cant go to Ubuntu 8.10, cause I rly need that Wine version to be able to use some programs...

Wine HQ doesn't build those packages...Wine HQ only provides source
code. You could ask Scott Richie, he's the one providing Ubuntu
packages.

> Also I'm just a user, not a coder or anything... I simply like Ubuntu over Windows...
> I dont rly know how to describe a bug... bug description like "Crashes on startup" seems a bit short to me... I dont even remember how to launch progs using Wine in terminal, cause I remember I could see a bit more of reasons that makes program to crash... anyway...

In the FAQ.

> And most surely I dont know how to build Wine from source, though I did it once and then I had 2 Wine installations on 1 OS of which I could delete only the one from Ubuntu package manager, cause I have no idea how to delete non-deb packages... :p once I had such thing and I just did format all particions cause was too lazy to search forums...
> Ofc I could prolly learn that all, but I dont rly have time nor wish to do that...

Easiest way is to remove your packaged version, download the source
code and use 'sudo make install'. That will install it in
/usr/local/bin. If you use git, you can then update wine daily with
just a couple minutes of build time. See the wiki.

> Anyway, I dont believe that there is no way you can add older Wine versions for new OS versions to deb package archive on wine download page... I'd be most grateful! :) Though I can prolly live on 8.04 for next 2,5 years cause it's LTS, but this idea doesnt seem so nice to me...

Personally, I don't see why you don't upgrade to Intrepid, but it's
your decision.

--
-Austin