[Wine] Wine X CrossOver

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 14 16:59:33 CST 2009

fabito <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote on Feb 14th:

>James McKenzie wrote:
>> fabito wrote:
>>
>> > Good night,
>> >
>> > Friends, a very simple question which is the best the Wine or CrossOver?
>> >

>> What are you trying to do?  Also, what Operating System/Distribution are
>> you using?  Lastly, some hardware questions:
>>
>> CPU?
>> Graphics card?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> James McKenzie
>

>I am wanting to use the software the company I work, I use ubuntu 8:10 a 1GB memory and graphics card just to monitor 128kbs.
>Thanks

Sounds like a program to monitor a network connection.  This may or may not work on Linux depending on your network card's drivers.  I would suggest attempting to install Wine 1.1.14 and installing the program through Wine.  Then attempt to run it.  If it does not run 'out of the box', you should look for your program (unless it is produced in-house) on the Applications Database to see if it will work, at all.  The same exists for CrossOver for Linux on the CodeWeavers web site.  Some programs will not run on Wine and Crossover due to the methods they use to access hardware.

James McKenzie