[Wine] Wine X CrossOver

IneedAname wineappdb at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 14 01:14:18 CST 2009

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 21:48:38 -0600
"fabito" <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> Good night,
>
>   Friends, a very simple question which is the best the Wine or CrossOver?
>
> Thanks

Its not a very simple question.

Wine is free.
CrossOver costs money.

CrossOver: Uses Wine plus hacked up versions of Wine to run some programs better then pure Wine.
CrossOver: Has a nice gui for using it and it makes use of multipliable wine prefix.
CrossOver: CrossOver people pay for Wines website hosting and help with writing Wine.

Wine: Not much to say, anything that CrossOver can do wine can do it but you need to find patch and compile wine.

I think you need to think about this list:
Does your program work under Wine?
Is your program covered by CrossOver?
Do you have the money for CrossOver?
Do you have the time / skill to hack about with Wine?

I do not have CrossOver. All the programs I want to run under wine I can or are not covered by CrossOver.