[Wine] Minimizing WoW - Painfully low FPS

Jason Weisberger jbdubbs at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 16:01:31 CST 2009

Are you running the game inside a composite window manager? If so try
disabling.

Jason Weisberger

On Feb 19, 2009 4:57 PM, "fullyspenged" <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

I can play WoW perfectly, it is 100% stable and I can get great fps.

One problem though, when I minimize the game and I maximize it, sometimes I
can just keep playing happily but sometimes thats not the case. I minimize
it, maximize it again and the FPS drops to about 10-20fps (anywhere).

As you might know, this is VERY annoying, I've tried changing loads of
settings in-game with no help.

Hardware:

E6750 C2D (stock)
8800GT 512 (high performance, stock)
4GB Ram (stock)

Xorg.conf:

Code:
# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings:  version 1.0  (buildmeister at builder62)  Thu Feb  5
00:09:30 PST 2009

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister at builder62)  Tue Jan  6
09:43:54 PST 2009

Section "ServerLayout"
   Identifier     "Layout0"
   Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
   InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
   ModulePath      "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
   FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/misc"
   FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi"
   FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi"
   FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/TTF"
EndSection

Section "Module"
   Load           "dbe"
   Load           "extmod"
#    Load           "type1"
   Load           "freetype"
   Load           "glx"
   Load           "ddc"
   Load           "i2c"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
   Option         "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier     "Mouse0"
   Driver         "mouse"
   Option         "CorePointer"
   Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
   Option         "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
   Option         "Buttons" "7"
   Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "0"
   Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
   Option         "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7"
   Option         "Resolution" "1600"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

   # generated from default
   Identifier     "Keyboard0"
   Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier     "Monitor0"
   VendorName     "Unknown"
   ModelName      "LG M2294D-PZ"
   HorizSync       30.0 - 83.0
   VertRefresh     56.0 - 75.0
   DisplaySize    474 303
   Option         "DPMS"
   Modeline "1680x1050_60.00"  146.25  1680 1784 1960 2240  1050 1053 1059
1089 -hsync +vsync
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier     "Device0"
   Driver         "nvidia"
   VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
   BoardName      "GeForce 8800 GT"
   Option         "NoLogo" "True"
   Option         "RenderAccel" "True"
   Option         "NoRenderExtension" "False"
   Option         "TripleBuffer" "True"
   Option         "NvAGP" "0"
   Option         "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
   Option         "AllowGLXWithComposite" "True"
   Option         "DynamicTwinView" "False"
EndSection

Section "Screen"

# Removed Option "metamodes" "1680x1050_60.00"
   Identifier     "Screen0"
   Device         "Device0"
   Monitor        "Monitor0"
   DefaultDepth    24
   Option         "TwinView" "0"
   SubSection     "Display"
       Depth       24
       Modes      "1680x1050_60.00"
   EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
   Option      "Composite"     "Enable"
EndSection

WoW is running at maximum settings, but changing the values has no effect. I
haven't explored EVERY possiblity, but no one can. :p

Has anyone had any similar problems? Also, I can't play WoW with V-Sync
unless the game is in full-screen mode, windowed only works without V-Sync.

I really want to sort this problem out as I minimize the game quite a lot!
Running the game with an emulated window doesn't help either. It happens in
GNOME and in KDE 4.2 so my DE is not the issue.