[Wine] Firefox on Wine as preferred browser

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 18:07:17 CST 2009

Not just for dogfooding, but because it's actually faster than running
the native binary:

The reason is not clear - hypotheses include MSVC++ builds being much
better optimised than gcc builds. I'm sure people are investigating
closely.

Anyway, I just reinstalled Ubuntu 8.10 and put KDE 4.2 on top and
*didn't* install the distro Firefox. No, I got Shiretoko (FF 3.1
nightly) win32 version.

Quick guide:

1. The fonts are gonna suck real bad unless you get a current Wine and
do the Wine registry thing. Then they'll only suck mostly bad.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"FontSmoothing"="2"
"FontSmoothingType"=dword:00000002
"FontSmoothingGamma"=dword:00000578
"FontSmoothingOrientation"=dword:00000001

2. Use Liberation Mono as your monospace font, it's a nice Lucida
Console substitute.

Bad points: it looks KDE3/XP-ish and doesn't fit in at all with the
loveliness of KDE 4.2.

Good point: it's wicked fast.

Any other useful hints to get Firefox in Wine as nice as possible?

- d.