[Wine] (no subject)

hocuspocus@yahoo.com hocus101us at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 21 19:58:53 CST 2009


what the hell are you talking about?


--- On Fri, 2/8/08, wine-users-request at winehq.org <wine-users-request at winehq.org> wrote:

From: wine-users-request at winehq.org <wine-users-request at winehq.org>
Subject: wine-users Digest, Vol 31, Issue 9
To: wine-users at winehq.org
Date: Friday, February 8, 2008, 10:00 AM

Send wine-users mailing list submissions to
	wine-users at winehq.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	http://www.winehq.org/mailman/listinfo/wine-users
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	wine-users-request at winehq.org

You can reach the person managing the list at
	wine-users-owner at winehq.org

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of wine-users digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. Re:  One application that I would like to see work.
      (A. Tres Finocchiaro)
   2. Re:  One application that I would like to see work. (Dotan Cohen)
   3. Re:  One application that I would like to see work.
      (James Hawkins)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 10:32:46 -0500
From: "A. Tres Finocchiaro" <tres.finocchiaro at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Wine] One application that I would like to see work.
To: "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen at gmail.com>
Cc: wine-users at winehq.org
Message-ID:
	<e9084d080802080732x69b5824et306c14c70f7ac837 at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

Opera only works for certain platforms and closed source, so its inherently
a disease to the idea behind Linux.

In some cases, its worth paying for pre-compiled versions of proprietary
software for linux.  IBM does this for x86 for their lotus notes
application, and also for their iSeries Client access.

I'm not saying I don't support the idea, but that company's site
looks like
they're relatively small.  To ask a community to bombard them with emails
is
rude and selfish.

Photoshop is on a different scale, it is a standard, and part of today's
every-day vocabulary.  Using photoshop as an example of an application that
you "don't use", but "still request linux support for"
is a weak argument.

There is certainly a contradiction between "runs on Linux" and
"closed
source" Linux and the Open Unixes are the only widespread PC operating
systems to change Kernels on a monthly basis, and they're the only thing
out
that can be compiled to run on any platform.  As long as new platforms are
developed, more requests for precompiled close source applications will
surface, and you will again be sending this SPAM email to a bunch of people
that don't program their own joysticks.


-Tres



On Fri, Feb 8, 2008 at 8:02 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/02/2008, A. Tres Finocchiaro <tres.finocchiaro at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > They do offer a wide range of Windows versions.  Programming hardware
is
> > probably a rarity through wine.  How often do you need to do this?
>  Would a
> > VMWare + Windows combination suffice?
> >
> > The issue with companies programming for Linux is they'd most
often need
> to
> > open up the source (alternately they could write it in java, or
release
> a
> > binary for each platform).
>
> Oh, is Opera written in Java, or open source? Is Matematica? There is
> no contradiction between "runs on Linux" and "closed
source".
>
> >  My suggestion for you is to reverse engineer
> > their software, or find out what wine is missing.
>
> > I don't know one person
> > that needs this software, so I can't justify sending them the
request,
> > sorry! :)
>
> I don't know one person who needs Photoshop. But I still requested
> that Adobe port it. In fact, I bug them every few months on the
> subject. But I will tell you the name of one person who does need the
> aforementioned software: Saurian (The OP).
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
> ?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>



-- 
- Tres.Finocchiaro at gmail.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-users/attachments/20080208/72e898af/attachment-0001.htm


------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 18:09:50 +0200
From: "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Wine] One application that I would like to see work.
To: "A. Tres Finocchiaro" <tres.finocchiaro at gmail.com>
Cc: wine-users at winehq.org
Message-ID:
	<880dece00802080809h3840ceabm659fbc8c0727057e at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

On 08/02/2008, A. Tres Finocchiaro <tres.finocchiaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> Opera only works for certain platforms and closed source, so its
inherently
> a disease to the idea behind Linux.

I will not get into a religious debate with you. As an end user, I use
the products that fit my workflow, regardless of philosophy. And I pay
what they cost. I use Linux because it is a tool that does what I need
better than the alternatives. I use Opera because it is a tool that
does what i need better than the alternatives. Actually, I'm using
Firefox at the moment because with certain extensions, it fits my work
better than Opera.

> In some cases, its worth paying for pre-compiled versions of proprietary
> software for linux.  IBM does this for x86 for their lotus notes
> application, and also for their iSeries Client access.

Agreed.

> I'm not saying I don't support the idea, but that company's
site looks like
> they're relatively small.  To ask a community to bombard them with
emails is
> rude and selfish.

I understand the point, based on the size of the company. However, I
think that we should start telling these companies that we need Linux
solutions, instead of crying that they ignore us. Of course they
ignore Linux users. _We_ need to contact _them_.

> Photoshop is on a different scale, it is a standard, and part of
today's
> every-day vocabulary.  Using photoshop as an example of an application
that
> you "don't use", but "still request linux support
for" is a weak argument.

I find the Gimp find for the little work that I do. However, I am
aware that people exist who were raised on Photoshop and need that
tool. I'm even enough of a jerk to help them by contacting Adobe and
backing them up. And you know what? I've already resolved myself to
trying Photoshop again (last used version 5.5) when it's available on
Linux. I'll buy the software if I see that it is an improvement over
Gimp.

> There is certainly a contradiction between "runs on Linux" and
"closed
> source" Linux and the Open Unixes are the only widespread PC
operating
> systems to change Kernels on a monthly basis, and they're the only
thing out
> that can be compiled to run on any platform.  As long as new platforms are
> developed, more requests for precompiled close source applications will
> surface, and you will again be sending this SPAM email to a bunch of
people
> that don't program their own joysticks.

Again, you are mixing philosophical interests that I am unwilling to
take part in. Sorry. I do understand the need for a free, open OS as
well as I understand the need to cure cancer, feed Asia, save the
endangered insect of the month, and fight global warming. I will
support all those causes in the little ways that I can. But I will not
argue about them. Nor is this the place for it.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 11:08:19 -0600
From: "James Hawkins" <truiken at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Wine] One application that I would like to see work.
To: "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen at gmail.com>
Cc: wine-users at winehq.org
Message-ID:
	<22821af30802080908t3a6ca1c6j6480727d57ee0fbf at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

On Feb 8, 2008 10:09 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/02/2008, A. Tres Finocchiaro <tres.finocchiaro at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Opera only works for certain platforms and closed source, so its
inherently
> > a disease to the idea behind Linux.
>
> I will not get into a religious debate with you. As an end user, I use
> the products that fit my workflow, regardless of philosophy. And I pay
> what they cost. I use Linux because it is a tool that does what I need
> better than the alternatives. I use Opera because it is a tool that
> does what i need better than the alternatives. Actually, I'm using
> Firefox at the moment because with certain extensions, it fits my work
> better than Opera.
>
> > In some cases, its worth paying for pre-compiled versions of
proprietary
> > software for linux.  IBM does this for x86 for their lotus notes
> > application, and also for their iSeries Client access.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > I'm not saying I don't support the idea, but that
company's site looks like
> > they're relatively small.  To ask a community to bombard them
with emails is
> > rude and selfish.
>
> I understand the point, based on the size of the company. However, I
> think that we should start telling these companies that we need Linux
> solutions, instead of crying that they ignore us. Of course they
> ignore Linux users. _We_ need to contact _them_.
>
> > Photoshop is on a different scale, it is a standard, and part of
today's
> > every-day vocabulary.  Using photoshop as an example of an
application that
> > you "don't use", but "still request linux support
for" is a weak argument.
>
> I find the Gimp find for the little work that I do. However, I am
> aware that people exist who were raised on Photoshop and need that
> tool. I'm even enough of a jerk to help them by contacting Adobe and
> backing them up. And you know what? I've already resolved myself to
> trying Photoshop again (last used version 5.5) when it's available on
> Linux. I'll buy the software if I see that it is an improvement over
> Gimp.
>
> > There is certainly a contradiction between "runs on Linux"
and "closed
> > source" Linux and the Open Unixes are the only widespread PC
operating
> > systems to change Kernels on a monthly basis, and they're the
only thing out
> > that can be compiled to run on any platform.  As long as new
platforms are
> > developed, more requests for precompiled close source applications
will
> > surface, and you will again be sending this SPAM email to a bunch of
people
> > that don't program their own joysticks.
>
> Again, you are mixing philosophical interests that I am unwilling to
> take part in. Sorry. I do understand the need for a free, open OS as
> well as I understand the need to cure cancer, feed Asia, save the
> endangered insect of the month, and fight global warming. I will
> support all those causes in the little ways that I can. But I will not
> argue about them. Nor is this the place for it.
>

Please take this argument OFF LIST.  It's off-topic and no one else
cares to hear it.

-- 
James Hawkins



------------------------------

_______________________________________________
wine-users mailing list
wine-users at winehq.org
http://www.winehq.org/mailman/listinfo/wine-users


End of wine-users Digest, Vol 31, Issue 9
*****************************************



      
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-users/attachments/20090221/075096a9/attachment.htm 


More information about the wine-users mailing list