[Wine] reverse wine odbc

Josh Dukes josh.dukes at microvu.com
Mon Feb 23 16:33:42 CST 2009

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:28:40 -0600
"vitamin" <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> Josh Dukes wrote:
> > I'm wondering if there's any way to access wine odbc data from
> > Linux through odbc (or anything else)?
>
> Unfortunately no.
>

> Josh Dukes wrote:
> > I ask this because I have data that can only be accessed via
> > windows odbc drivers (a foxpro database)
>
> I'd suggest you converting this DB into dbf (or anything else native
> to Linux) and access it directly with Python. If this is live DB, use
> something trully cross-platform (which excludes everything MS ever
> made) for example MySQL.

You just hit the two main problems I'm dealing with.
1) it is a live db and it can't be switched to anything else
immeditely. We're in the middle of a migration away from the current
package, but the migration involves a lot of working with this database
which must be live all the time. We can't use anything else because the
accounting package is closed source and uses foxpro dbfs.
2) it IS in dbf format, but foxpro dbf isn't the same as clipper dbf or
Xbase, or any of the other 20 some dbf "standards", so none of the dbf
libraries work on everything. We started to write our own dbf module in
C, but the application actually uses multiple dbf formats within the
same db.

The only thing that reliably reads the database is Microsoft's own
Foxpro dbf reader. Plus we really want write access, and the only
reliable way to do that is to use M$ code (everything else has a chance
of corrupting the db).

I wish there was a way to take M$ to court for all the mental anguish
and months (if not years) of extra work they've caused. Oh well, thanks
for the info.

--

Josh Dukes
MicroVu IT Department