[Wine] C&C Red Alert 3 - Lan (and also hamachi) play

jorl17 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Feb 23 19:03:39 CST 2009

Hello to all

I've been playing Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 (LEGAL version of the game) with wine and it has been working very well.

However, I decided to try and play LAN (linux-to-linux) and did not manage to do it. There was a time where I could see my name twice on the list (should see once) plus my other pc's name. So this meant that:

PC A

Sees PC A TWICE and PC B ONCE

PC B

Sees PC B TWICE and PC A ONCE

Whenever I created a game and tried to connect to it, it said 'connection tiemd out'.

Later on, I tried to play via Hamachi with a friend of mine (linux-to-windows) and stumbled upon one more problem. One of the problems seems to be in the /etc/hosts file. Whenever I set my IP (in /etc/hosts) to hamachi's one, I can see him but he can't see me. The opposite happens if I set my IP to 127.0.0.1 (localhost) (that is, he sees me, I don't see him).

So does anybody know where the problem is? Is there a fix for this?

One thing I noticed (probably doesn't matter) was this message (not Wine's message, as I'm running WINEDEBUG=-all):

> WARNING: Trying to create a socket of type SOCK_RAW, this will fail unless you have special permissions.
> WARNING: Trying to create a socket of type SOCK_RAW, this will fail unless you have special permissions.
> WARNING: Trying to create a socket of type SOCK_RAW, this will fail unless you have special permissions.

Maybe it means something?

Thanks,

João