[Wine] Re: C&C Red Alert 3 - Lan (and also hamachi) play

jorl17 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Feb 24 06:18:47 CST 2009

austin987 wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 7:03 PM, jorl17 <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>
> > Hello to all
> >
> > I've been playing Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 (LEGAL version of the game) with wine and it has been working very well.
> >
> > However, I decided to try and play LAN (linux-to-linux) and did not manage to do it. There was a time where I could see my name twice on the list (should see once) plus my other pc's name. So this meant that:
> >
> > PC A
> >
> > Sees PC A TWICE and PC B ONCE
> >
> > PC B
> >
> > Sees PC B TWICE and PC A ONCE
> >
> > Whenever I created a game and tried to connect to it, it said 'connection tiemd out'.
> >

> > Later on, I tried to play via Hamachi with a friend of mine (linux-to-windows) and stumbled upon one more problem. One of the problems seems to be in the /etc/hosts file. Whenever I set my IP (in /etc/hosts) to hamachi's one, I can see him but he can't see me. The opposite happens if I set my IP to 127.0.0.1 (localhost) (that is, he sees me, I don't see him).
> >
> > So does anybody know where the problem is? Is there a fix for this?
> >

> http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-0344b4325219c69636aeffeaa3596d6855283afd
>

> > One thing I noticed (probably doesn't matter) was this message (not Wine's message, as I'm running WINEDEBUG=-all):
> >

> > > WARNING: Trying to create a socket of type SOCK_RAW, this will fail unless you have special permissions.
> > > WARNING: Trying to create a socket of type SOCK_RAW, this will fail unless you have special permissions.
> > > WARNING: Trying to create a socket of type SOCK_RAW, this will fail unless you have special permissions.
> > >

> That message is from Wine...Wine has 4 debugging message types:
> err, fixme, warn, trace and message.
>
> WINEDEBUG repects the first 4. MESSAGE is used very rarely, you just
> found one of the few times it is used :-).
>
> --
> -Austin

Thanks, I surely did not know about MESSAGE() calls, thanks.

One thing I forgot to say was that I am behind a router (and yet again if LAN doesn't work, why would Hamachi work??)...

You pointed me to the first place where I saw this solution which unfortunately does not seem to work...

I could have also said that I am perfectly able to play online, just not in the LAN (and Hamachi). The fact that it also fails within the LAN shows that it is not a 'class A'-'class C' mismatch (LAN addresses: 192.168.1.3 and 192.168.1.15). Hamachi addresses are not on class C, but that, as said before, doesn't seem to matter.