[Wine] the new wine

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 27 08:15:15 CST 2009

leronlegion6 <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote on Feb 26th:

>who cares how much money microsoft spend
Many people do care about how much this company spends.  Look at the Courts of the EU and USA for examples.

>windows sucks
That is YOUR opinion.  I happen to have been around BEFORE Windows when being a computer wiz meant knowing ALL of the command line options to Lotus 1-2-3.  Windows made computers available to just about anyone.  Ask most people what they thing of Linux and they say it is way to hard to use and it is a niche product that is going nowhere.  Thus, companies adopt what is popular and so do governments.  When they move away from Windows, then and only then will we see an increase in the use of other operating systems and products being produced for them.

>all they really managed to create was a really buggy operating system.

This is where I LOVE MacOSX because Apple decided to end support of legacy programs.  If Microsoft adopted the same attitude some of the problems would go away.  Unfortunately for them, this would also expose how bad the system is and people might leave in large numbers.  There is a bug in the current Windows Vista that I found in MS-DOS 3.1.  Why?  Because of legacy program support that has to exist in Windows.  Drop that, and the bug goes away.  The same can be said for Linux, bugs have existed for a long time.  You just have not run into any of them, yet.

>thats vulnerable to any attack
So is any operating system.  Linux has known vulnerabilities, MacOSX has them, Open and Free BSD has them.  Just is they are not popular.  Launch an attack against Windows, and you have 90%+ of the computers at your demand.  Launch an attack against Linux, and you just hit .6% or less.  MacOSX is somewhere in between.  Remember, the folks who are doing this are not trying to change your operating system, just get their names in lights.  Sort of why terrorists 'do their thing'.

>all the community wants is for wine to support cross windows apps
And that is the goal of this project.  Replicate the Windows 32 API, BUGS AND ALL.  If it's broken in the API, it will be broken in Wine.  Why?  Because programs rely on and compensate for Windows brokeness.  Sorry, them's the fact.

>i really want it to support many of the windows apps i offenly use and thats all

I don't.  I want to see the ability of company's to make a financial decision to support Linux/UNIX.  In the meantime, I would like to have the ability to run some, but not all, Windows programs on my Mac.  The goal is to be able to run the most popular programs on these platforms that will NEVER be ported to it.  I run a particular Bible program, e-Sword, that Mike Meyers stated will NEVER be produced for the Mac nor Linux.  So, I have Wine for that purpose.  Other program producers have stated the intent to support Linux and the Mac.  Do I test them on Wine?  No, I'm not going to waste my time doing so.

Please be aware of the scope of this project and that most of the support is completely volunteer, that is folks giving of a valuable asset:  time.  Money will NOT add to or remove any of that.

James McKenzie