[Wine] AMD Cool'N Quiet = Processor issues

General Sarevok wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Feb 28 19:34:18 CST 2009

Hello there. I'm new to the forums and pretty new to having linux on my desktop but I've had to use command line unix/linux at school and at work.

I'm using Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex 64 bit version. I have a HIS 2600XT video card, an Athlon 64 3500+, and 2 gigs of RAM.

I've been having some issues with slow FPS in Guild Wars and Disciples 2 (using the GoG version).

I assumed it's the video card and it's driver and their interaction with Wine. So I compiled the AMD linux driver for the video card for Ubuntu 8.10 (64 bit). That appeared to work well; glxgears is up about another 750 FPS to 7250 FPS.

Then I started to fool around with Wine settings and regedit settings. I'm incapable of getting more than about 25 FPS out of Guild Wars and I know that when running it on Windows XP I easily get 60 FPS at all times. I did look through the UsefulRegistryKeys page as well as the AppDB page for Guild Wars and tried all combinations that are listed within.

In regedit, however, I stumbled upon the Hardware CPU section and it was saying I had a 1000MHz speed. Now /proc/cpuinfo says I have a 1000MHz speed when I don't have any processes running but it will go up to 2200MHz as needed. AMD Cool'N Quiet keeps the CPU speed down when not in use.

I'm pretty sure that when I start Guild Wars through Wine, Wine is grabbing my /proc/cpuinfo of 1000MHz and using that as my maximum CPU speed to run Guild Wars and that is causing my slow FPS.

Is there a way to tell Wine that I really have a 2200MHz processor?