[Wine] Re: Tips for packaging games?

Bamm wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Jan 6 11:38:13 CST 2009

Marcus Carlson wrote:

> I intend to package a few games of mine using Debian packages for easy
> installation and would like some tips on how to do it properly.
>
> I thought of creating packages that depends on wine and to create a
> wineprefix for each game somewhere in /usr or /var mostly because
> different games want it's own settings and to control them separately.
> But this way I don't think updates of wine would be handled well.
>
> Another alternative is to include all the wine files in the package -
> but this seems to be a lot of work.

Take a look at the pptview package in Ubuntu, it is a Windows program (Powerpoint Viewer) with Wine as a dependency.

On the other hand also take a look at Google's Picasa, which bundles it own Wine version to prevent regressions.

The two programs above are examples of the two approaches you mentioned. They both work. By studying how they did it, you will have a better idea which approach you want.