[Wine] Access 2000 forms

Daniel Kasak daniel.kasak at 247realmedia.com
Tue Jan 13 19:27:06 CST 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 13:35 -0600, phydeaux wrote:

> Trying to open and edit a form in wine using Access 2000.  Only problem is that the file I need is over the network on a win xp server.  I can bring up Access just fine, click open, but when I click on network places I get this:
>

> [Image: http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk317/phydeaux24/Screenshot.png ]
>
> I have tried everything but I'm horribly new to this.  Please help.[/img]

I bit off-topic, but maybe of use to you ...

I have written a set of Perl libraries ( open-source & fully
cross-platform ) that use Gtk2-Perl to replace MS Access forms,
datasheets and reports.

If you want to use this solution, you're looking at a rewrite of your MS
Access application, but it's worth it.

It's all up on my website: http://entropy.homelinux.org/axis/

Also available on cpan ( but versions haven't been updated in a while ):
 - Gtk2::Ex::DBI
 - Gtk2::Ex::Datasheet::DBI
 - PDF::ReportWriter

There are screenshots of a production system that I ported from MS
Access because it was becoming unstable and unmanagable ( and very
slow ).

As for MS Access under wine, I tried that before embarking on developing
the above. At the time I was using a trial version of crossover office.
It was OK for running simple forms, but was prone to crashing quite
often, and would corrupt the mdb file when this happened, which wasn't
so good. Also getting ODBC drivers working in wine was a nightmare.
Maybe things have changed recently? Haven't bothered trying.

Dan