[Wine] Re: Steam (HL2) locks up on 64 bit Ubuntu

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Jan 14 19:22:00 CST 2009

TheDruidsKeeper wrote:

> vitamin wrote:
> > Completely reinstall Steam following HOW-TO (it will preserve all your games). Only this time don't use winetricks.
>

> Tried that too, verbatim. Also tried doing it by following the "easy" way here http://wiki.winehq.org/WineOn64bit , both with and without winetricks. Still no dice.
>
> - I did it each time blowing away everything since so far the only thing I am trying to get working is Steam.

I'm not buying this unless you using the wine-1.1.12 release (which is broken).
Just try one simple thing which should work:

Code:
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-test wine iexplore http://winehq.org

If this won't ask you to install wine-gecko, then your Wine is really broken. You should either revert back to wine-1.1.11 or use current GIT version or wait for wine-1.1.13 (due to be out this Friday).