[Wine] The fonts are all messed up unless I crank the dpi up a lot

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 17 22:18:22 CST 2009

DaVince wrote:
> austin987 wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 3:20 PM, DaVince <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>>

>>> Okay, but I wasn't sure if it would wipe all of them. Thanks for that bit of info.
>>>

>> I'm not sure what you mean? Uninstallers in wine should work as well
>> as they do in windows. That said, they often don't in wine, because
>> 'rm -rf ~/.wine' is so easy, it's a low priority. Also, many
>> uninstallers don't work fully on windows...
>>
>> By all of them, if you mean will 'rm -rf ~./wine' remove all windows
>> applications? If so, sort of. It will remove all applications
>> installed in that directory (aside from shortcuts). If you never
>> messed with separate WINEPREFIXs, then yes, that'll remove them all.
>>
>> --
>> -Austin
>>

> My train of thought is kind of like this: because an app's configuration files can be in so many places, the package's script that takes care of "completely removing" could maybe forget a few places and keep the config files there anyway. But this would be the same as with Windows anyway, especially where registry keys for some apps simply aren't removed.
>
> @Ben Okopnik: I did only mention the app's settings though, not files made with it.

Here is something that will make this clear:

The installation package can also be used to remove the executables from
your Linux install.  Things are a little more complex with a Mac, but
not so that removal of Wine will take looking through thousands of
files.  Just run make clean or something like that and it is gone.  If
you used an installer, you have to do a little cleanup.

Deleting the .wine file under your user directory removes all installed
files, programs and most but not all user installed program settings.  I
use a program called e-Sword that creates a directory on my system in
the user space called e-Sword.  If I wanted to remove Wine, I would run
the apppropriate program to de-install Wine, delete the .wine file and
then delete any program created files.  Poof!  Wine is gone or should be.

Some folks make it sound like it is impossible to remove Wine, whereas
using the tools supplied with either the installation package, the build
package and your OS specific removal method are the best methods to
use.  BTW, I've removed Wine many times from my development Mac and have
not experienced any problems with it, except that I have many versions
and builds of the program stored there and that was my decision.

James McKenzie