[Wine] Windows Media Player 11

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Mon Jan 19 11:38:00 CST 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 10:46 PM, iceblue25.1 <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to run Windows Media Player 11 on WINE and I cant. This is the only software that I need to be windows free since my university posts the lecture videos in WMP 11 DRM format and I cant view them if I dont have WMP11 installed.

It seems that there is no format changes between WMP 10 and 11... You
might want to give WMP 10 a try as well...

You might have success cracking the WGA check (several search results
contain intructions), but it is probably not legal and therefore not
recommended.

The codec package from Microsoft might enable an older WMP version to
play the new files.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=06fcaab7-dcc9-466b-b0c4-04db144bb601&DisplayLang=en
Other versions:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/format/codecdownload.aspx

> It asks for windows genuine verification. Anybody can help? I have wine 1.1.12.

If you actually own a Windows (which is probably a requirement to
legally use WMP), you might want to try running it under Virtualbox...
It is a slower, less elegant, more expensive solution, but it works
for some things that Wine cannot do / do yet... (Still testing
applications under Wine is still recommended though, since it
shortcomings must be know before it can be fixed..)

Gert