[Wine] "gdi32.dll" failed to initialize, aborting

ver wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Jan 19 15:14:39 CST 2009

I have a really weird issue which started when I installed some truetype fonts on my system.

So far I've been able to verify this with Wine 1.1.3 and am about to test with Wine 1.1.13.

doneill at mandy /World of Warcraft $ winecfg
doneill at mandy /World of Warcraft $ winecfg
err:module:attach_process_dlls "gdi32.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winecfg.exe" failed, status c0000005

What you're seeing on the first line is my running winecfg with my truetype fonts directory temporarily moved to my home folder.

The second line is what I get when I move it back.  Somehow my TTF font collection is causing wine to die on gdi32 initialisation.

I've checked out WINEDEBUG=+all and found something very interesting in the output; that I can't make heads or tails of any of it.  Aside from that, there's an awful lot of it which I'd rather not burn my bandwidth posting here, even if only on the sections which mention gdi32.

What I CAN say is that with the fonts in place it takes 2-3 seconds to throw the error, which by my hardware is roughly how long it takes for me to compile Xorg.  Seems to me it's thinking really hard.

In an unrelated note, GDM stopped firing up around the same time, so I updated the responsible library (libfreetype2, ooh, coming together now?) and now it works just fine.  After that, I recompiled Wine since, as said, I have a new Freetype2 library, but still no love.

Gimp, Blender, etc. seems to work, but it seems to me that in my collection is a 'broken' truetype font which has managed to munch any hopes I have of running any Wine applications while there.

If it were simply a matter of weeding out the sour grape I would, but:

$ ls /usr/share/fonts/TTF/ | wc
  10131

... I'm wondering if sheer volume is to blame, are we storing font counts in 8-bit integers? :p