[Wine] [Python-Dev] compiling python2.5 (msys+mingw+wine) - giving up using msvcr80 assemblies for now

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Jan 20 08:18:42 CST 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Tim Lesher <tlesher at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 08:02, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
> <luke.leighton at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> of course - if python for win32 ENTIRELY DROPPED msvc as a development
>> platform, and went for an entirely free software development
>> toolchain, then this problem goes away.
>
> That's a non-starter for anyone who incorporates Python in an existing
> MSVC-based development environment.

surely incorporating libpython2.5.dll.a or libpython2.6.dll.a, along
with the .def and the importlib that's generated with dlldump, unless
i'm missing something, would be a simple matter, yes?

> When in Rome...

 yeah they said the same thing about "gas ovens", too.  not the nazi
gas ovens, the phrase my mother used to say "if someone stuck their
head in a gas oven, would you do the same?".

> There would also be a significant performance cost.
> The PGO (Profile Guided Optimisation) compilation of
> Visual Studio is impressive.

i'd say "great" - but given a choice of "impressive profile guided
optimisation plus a proprietary compiler, proprietary operating system
_and_ being forced to purchase a system _capable_ of running said
proprietary compiler, said proprietary operating system, _and_ giving
up free software principles _and_ having to go through patch-pain,
install-pain _and_ being forced to use a GUI-based IDE for
compilation" or "free software tools and downloads the use of which
means i am beholden to NOONE", it's a simple choice for me to make -
maybe not for other people.

l.