[Wine] Wine doesnt show close to all my files/apps...?

Charity Abbott angeliqer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 09:52:51 CST 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 10:42 AM, kwisatz <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> John Drescher wrote:
>> The C: you see with wine is not the C: that you boot windows. This is
>> a hidden folder in your linux partition. DO NOT try to make your C: in
>> wine point to the real C: that will corrupt your wine and also make
>> windows non bootable.
>
> Oooh... you assume I even know what you're referring to. Definitely strong IT background with regards to Windows and Networking environment, but a noob with Ubuntu/Wine.
>
> Basically, how do I run an application in c:\chrono\ when it isnt listed? With the wording 'Browse C:' it seems a misnomer... so I am not able to run programs found on my windows partition?

Since you are using wine with an existing Windows install, you are
booting from your windows partition which has all of your files.
However, wine only shows you files in your
/home/(user_name)/.wine/drive_c
I've never played around with this setup, but I think that the Windows
folder and Program Files folder are completely separate from the
actual ones on your Windows partition. If you want to use a program
installed on your Windows partition, you will have to install it using
wine first before you can use it. Wine is not meant to access programs
installed on a windows partition. You could access the data on the
partition if you wanted to, but that is a completely separate thing
from the boot process. In fact, you wouldn't even need to boot from a
real windows partition to do that. You could use a regular wine
install.