[Wine] Help with debugging Fable

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 16:30:53 CST 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 4:19 PM, ShideKnight <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Okay. I'll have to do that then...
>
> In the mean time, I have a couple questions
>
> - Is it possible to remove just one program with a command like that so I don't have to try to reinstall anything else?

Uninstallers should work as in windows, but don't always...and some
uninstallers don't work on windows. If you install each program in a
separate WINEPREFIX, you can just remove that prefix.

> - What exactly is the native vs. builtin distinction in user.reg? I got the impression that native uses a dll from the system or system32 folder, whereas builtin uses a dll from the /usr/ directory. But if you switch a file from builtin to native, for instance, does it write over the file in the /usr/ directory, or does it just redirect the command to the other file? Also, what does it mean when it lists both native and builtin?

Native = windows dll
builtin = wine's replacement dll

If you use native, it'll try to use the native dll in the same
directory as the executable, then any in your (windows) PATH. Most of
the time, their put in system32. The confusion there is that many
'fake' wine dlls, because many programs check for dlls to be located
here (poor practice, but works on windows).

Overriding with native won't replace the file in /usr, it just tells
wine to use that file instead, when possible.

If you have native AND builtin, it will try them in the order listed.

--
-Austin