[Wine] Installing Wine on OSX

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 29 07:46:02 CST 2009

slrman <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>Sent: Jan 29, 2009 5:51 AM
>To: wine-users at winehq.org
>Subject: [Wine]  Installing Wine on OSX
>
>I have a new iMac 2.66GHz with 4 GB of RAM.  I would like to be able to continue to use the WinXP game, IL2.  I know it runs under Wine, thanks to this site.  Now I learn that I do not have to use Boot Camp to install Linux or Windows but that Wine will work directly with OSX.  Needless to say, this is great news to me.
>
>I have downloaded Wine 1.1.13 and have opened the readme file.  There, I see it says Xcode 2.4 or higher is required.  I have also downloaded Xcode 3.1.2 but this seems to be a developer tool.  Do I really need this?

You do not have to build Wine yourself.  There are two sites that provide Darwine (Darwin-Wine) builds for your iMac.  The first is run by Mike Kronenberg and he supplies drag-and-drop installations.  The second is run by Zach Drayer and he provides packages that install using the Apple installer.  Both run very wel1.

What you downloaded is the Wine source code which needs more than just XCode to allow you to build it.  You will have to install either the Fink or MacPorts Unix to MacOSX build project.  If you are not familiar with this, please visit each project's web site.

James McKenzie