[Wine] Re: WoW with ATI card (running catalyst)

Middreks wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Jan 30 09:57:54 CST 2009

Qvintvs wrote:
> I'm having trouble getting World of Warcraft to run with wine. I have an ATI card and I'm using catalyst drivers. Running with OpenGL gives me the following:
>
> X Error of failed request:  GLXBadDrawable
>   Major opcode of failed request:  144 (GLX)
>   Minor opcode of failed request:  5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
>   Serial number of failed request:  586
>
> (running w/ directx just gives me a black screen, though there is sound in the background)
> Anyone know what's wrong or how to fix it, if possible?

Hey,
I'm quite new both to linux (i use ubuntu) and to wine, but i have a crappy ati vga in my laptop so i think i can help you out a bit. ;)
1. First of all i don't know which distro do you prefer, but download an ati installer file (for eg.
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-driver-installer-8.36.5-x86.x86_64.run;first one found in google)
and add rights to run it (within properties or with chmod) and install it, however you have to compile it every time when a new kernel comes it sucks a bit :S Didn't found a working driver that just installs and works fine with every kernel without reinstalling all the time...
2. So back to the topic: After this is done (or already done) i couldn't make the new 3.0.8 launcher options get to work, so didn't bother with those (however it actually supports opengl with hardware cursor that way, but my wow started in d3d, so it doesn't work imho) just edit your Config.WTF file and add these lines:

Code:
SET gxApi “opengl”

if you still have problems:

Code:
SET ffxDeath “03
SET ffxGlow “03
SET ffxSpecial “03

SET [[CVar gxCursor|gxCursor]] “03
SET [[CVar gxFixLag|gxFixLag]] “03
SET [[CVar gxResolution|gxResolution]] “1024×7683
SET [[CVar gxWindow|gxWindow]] “13
SET [[CVar movie|movie]] “13
SET [[CVar readEULA|readEULA]] “13
SET [[CVar readScanning|readScanning]] “-13
SET [[CVar readTOS|readTOS]] “13
SET [[CVar Sound_OutputDriverName|Sound_OutputDriverName]] “System Default”
SET [[CVar Sound_VoiceChatInputDriverName|Sound_VoiceChatInputDriverName]] “System Default”
SET [[CVar Sound_VoiceChatOutputDriverName|Sound_VoiceChatOutputDriverName]] “System Default”
SET [[CVar videoOptionsVersion|videoOptionsVersion]] “13

And of course save the file.

3. You didn't write anything about your wine config so here are some tips:
Applications tab -> Add -> WoW.exe -> Select Windows XP
You had sound, so it's just fine for now, but you should use ALSA
Graphics tab -> First 3 ticked, 4th (emulate virtual desktop) not ticked

4. Start WoW

That's all i could do, hope it helps. :)

All the best,
Middreks[/code]