[Wine] Strange error

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 31 12:55:29 CST 2009

dow wrote:
> Okay, I went back to the distribution disk, and installed dpp version 1.6.1.  However, when it got to the end of the installation, it asked if I wanted to restart.  I said no, as I had an email open, and then the installer gave me an "installation failed" message.  However, the program will run.  Unfortunately, I cannot upgrade to a newer version, nor can I uninstall version 1.6.1.  When I try t run an upgrade, it begins to extract files, and then says,
>

>> You cannot install Digital Photo Professional on this computer.  Verify whether the required environment for use has been satisfied.  Cancel installation.
>>

> If I try to uninstall version 1.6.1 through the wine uninstaller, nothing at all happens.
>
> Thoughts?

At the present time, most program uninstallers do not work with Wine.
The process that I use is:

mv $HOME/.wine{,.backup}
wine notepad

This will move the current .wine user directory structure to
.wine.backup.  Running wine notepad will create a new .wine and attempt
to execute notepad (which should run.)

Then you can attempt to install your Canon program again.

If the only program in the current Wine user space is the Canon program,
you can use:

rm -rf $HOME/.wine
wine notepad

Please note that the first line of code must be entered EXACTLY as
written or you can cause great damage to your Linux/UNIX installation.
It can delete user files and does so with no recovery possible (in most
cases.)

James McKenzie