[Wine] thanks for the help guys

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 14:31:40 CST 2009

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 2:24 PM, schurtek <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> I didn't find anything on your FAQ etc that says not to use PlayOnLinux... and I don't expect people to hold my hand and tell me I am the most important person in the world...

PlayOnLinux isn't mentioned by name, but referenced, and this link
shows it: http://wiki.winehq.org/ThirdPartyApplications

> I have since, with out the assistance of WINE forums, worked out how to install DirectX with out POL, since I have now learned that POL doesn't use the version of WINE I have installed but rather it's own version, which means that I can't install NFSU on Wine and DirectX on POL.

Exactly why we don't support it.

> The POL forums are even richer with help, with them telling me that they won't help me since WINE can't access the net, and if my game needs to be activated it means its a pirate...
>
> I have installed the latest version of WINE now, 1.1.14 at it works... I did that with out the [-]help[/-] for WINE forums...

So it works? Great! If not, attach terminal output and explain the bug
clearly. Off hand, sounds like it was a bug in wininet.

> maybe if someone had explained to me that what you install in POL has no bearing on WINE... but maybe people didn't read my post...

We don't support it, so we don't know exactly what they do. I've never used it.

> thank you and have a [-]nice[/-] day

No problem. You too.

--
-Austin