[Wine] No wine applications work (Ubuntu 8.04)

emu wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Jul 4 16:43:16 CDT 2009

I have Wine version 1.0.0 (I installed it a while ago), which I only recently needed to use. The first thing I did was try to put a DLL into the system folder. But when I clicked on "Brose C:\ Drive" nothing happened, so I tried clicking on "Configure Wine", and this time, the monitor blinked a few times and went back to the login screen.

After that, I could browse the C;\ drive, but if I ever try to run any application (including notepad) the same thing happens - the monitor blinks for a few seconds, then it goes back to the login screen for Ubuntu.  I haven't found the solution anywhere, and I really have no idea what I'm doing, so can anyone help?